Over the past couple of decades, fish oil has become a magic bullet that protects the body from all manner of medical conditions. Reports have hailed fish oil as a barrier against everything from heart disease to brain and cognitive issues. Recently, though, other studies have shown fish oil to be of little to no help at all, and in some cases, it may even be hazardous to your health.
Pollution has tainted the fish population, and it’s possible that eating contaminated fish meat can make people sick. Many times, fish oil pills can go rancid sitting on store shelves. And don’t get us started on the bad breath and belching that can result from taking fish oil pills.
Here are a few other conditions that may arise from over-ingesting fish oil:
- Increased risk of bleeding
- Increase in bad cholesterol
- Reduction in blood pressure
- High toxin intake (from fish meat)
- Swelling of upper respiratory tract
- Allergic reaction
- Upset tummy
Cui Bono – Who benefits?
There are people out there who can benefit from taking fish oil supplements. They include:
- People with high levels of triglycerides. (Fish oil may reduce triglycerides level by 20 – 50 percent.)
- People with coronary heart disease.
- People who suffer from high blood pressure, menstrual cramping, rheumatoid arthritis, and osteoporosis, among others.