Your brain is like a muscle. It needs to be regularly exercised to maintain its top capabilities. Keeping your brain healthy is a key to having a healthy life. There are a number of ways to give your brain a workout: crosswords, jigsaw puzzles, etc. Reading is another great way buff up your brain and improve your life. Here are just a few ways you can make your life better by reading.
- Reading relieves stress. Studies have concluded that the minute one begins reading, stress levels can drop by as much 68%.
- Reading may help you sleep better. Reading’s a great part of a nightly pre-bed de-stressing routine. Print books are better for this than screen, like laptops or e-readers, because bright lights stimulate your brain and signal to it that you should be waking up.
- Reading is a form of visual exercise. The visual stimulation involved in reading works out your brain’s occipital lobe. This helps your imagination, improves creativity, and aids in making decisions. Reading also exercises the parietal lobe, improving writing skills and reading comprehension.
- Reading sharpens your analytical skills. Reading helps you to recognize patterns and improve your ability to analyze information.
- Reading can help ease depression. Reading self-help books, in concert with instructional support sessions, has been linked to lower levels of depression compared to patients who receive typical treatments.
- Reading may help fight Alzheimer’s. While it’s more of an association than a cause and effect relationship, there is evidence that elderly folks who reading are less likely to suffer from Alzheimer’s.
- Reading makes you sexier. We’re all attractive to people we perceive to be intelligent. So if you want to look hotter, just keep your nose in a book!